Retro Hostel -Turda Salt mine - Biertan fortified church - Sighisoara - one day tour
Come with us on a day tour and take the chance to visit the Salt Mine of Turda, the fortified church in Biertan and the medieval city of Sighisoara!
Visiting Turda Salt Mine is a must for any visitor to this region. One of the most important salt mines in Transylvania during the middle ages, Turda salt mine has been known since ancient times, but was put into operation for underground mining work during the Roman period. The Salt Mine is mentioned in official documents from the middle of the 13th century, when the mine was offered to the Transylvanian Catholic Church leaders. The mine started to fall into decay after 1840, due the growing competition of the salt mine in Ocna Mures. It ceased its activity in 1932 and in 1992, entered into the tourist circuit. Apart from it's tourist value, the inside average humidity, the constant temperture of 11-12 ºC, the lack of pathogen bacterium and the moderate air ionization, has a widely known beneficial effect on the respiritory system.
A few kilometres from Sighisoara is the fortified church of Biertan (Birthalm), one of the best preserved in Transylvania, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site. The village has been known since 1283 when a document mentioned an economic relationship with the diocense of Alba Iulia. Gradually the area grew and in 1418 King Sigismund of Hungary conveyed to it the right to hold court; about one hundred years later the construction of a new home for the Episcopate was begun in the area. The present church was built by the Saxons in the late 15th Century. The construction lasted until 1522, while Biertan became the Episcopal residence 50 years later, a great privilege, which it was to keep for the next three centuries.
The magnificent walls which fortify the church stand at a height of 12m. Beyond the wonderful church which can be seen from kilometers away, is the "Marriage House" found in one of the towers outside the church itself, used also as a prison. Prudent people approached their relationship with God with reverence and they did not easily tolerate divorce. That's why, when couples would come here to ask the priest for a divorce, they were locked in the prison, out of contact with anything and anybody. Once inside, they would find only one item of everything they needed to live, one bed, one bowl, one spoon,so that they were forced to share everything. If there was no reconciliation between them after two weeks is the "jail", the divorce would be granted. Fortunately, these last cases were so rare that they are barely mentioned.
Close to the church, we will have lunch in a unique medieval style restaurant.
After a journey of more than 200km, we will end our tour by walking on the cobbled stone streets of Sighisoara, and enjoying a local plum brandy, ("tuica") at Dracula's birthplace house ...
- duration - between 11 and 13 hours;
- validity - thoughout the year;
- minimum people required - 2.
- transport - the tour leaves from Cluj, taking you to Sighisoara via Biertan. Returning to Cluj on the same day will be via Targu-Mures;
THE PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- transfer and tour Cluj - Turda - Biertan - Sighisoara - Cluj, by car or minibus;
- English, German, Italian or Hungarian speaking guides;
- snack and refreshments in the car;
THE PACKAGE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- entrance tickets throughout the day;
- All meals and drinks;
- personal expenses.
- 85 euros / person for minimum 2 people;
- 57 euros / person for 3 people;
- 43 euros / person for 4 people;
- 34 euros / person for 5 people;
- 33 euros / person for 6 people;
- 32 euros / person for 7 people;
- 29 euros / person for 8 people;
- 29 - 18 euros / person for 9 - 14 people;
- 20 - 28 euros / person for 15 - 20 people;
- 27 - 18 euros / person for 21 - 31 people;
Note: our tours are open to everyone interested, every day of the week. These rates are valid for our guests only!