Where to go from Retro Hostel? What to visit in Cluj?
The city of Cluj-Napoca, one of the most important academic, cultural and industrial centres in the country, is located in the historical province of Transylvania, approximately 470km northwest of Bucharest, and 450 km east of Budapest. Having a long history, the city itself it is a great tourist attraction and a good traveling base for those interested in exploring Transylvania ...
Here are some of the city's main attractions and other suggestions for traveling in our region.
Places to visit in our city
St. Michael's Church - one of the most beautiful Gothic churches in Transylvania. The main building was built between 1450-1480.
The National Theatre and Opera House - a Baroque-Rococo building, buit between 1904 - 1906. The performance hall seats 1050 people.
The statue of Matei Corvin - king of Hungary between 1457-1497. Located in Unirii Square, the statue was been made in 1902 by Janus Fadrusz
The Orthodox Cathedral - it is located in Avram Iancu Square, and was built in 1933. For those who are interested in Byzantine style, this is the right place to visit.
The Botanical Gardens - one of the most important tourist sights of the city. Opened in 1920, the gardens are spread over a area of 14 hectares, at a height of 400-410 meters.They are considered to be the the largest of their kind in Eastern Europe.
The Taylor's Fort - the last preserved part of the defensive walls which were enclosing the town in the 15th century.
Matei Corvin's House - Built in the Gothic style in the 15th Century; one of the last standing buildings of those times. It is assumed that Matei Corvin was born in this house on February 23, 1440.
The Art Museum - also known as Banffy Castle. The building was built between 1774-1785 (Baroque style) and from 1956, it was established as the Art Museum.
The Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania - founded in 1922. Indoor and outdoor sections. Farms from different regions of Transylvania, wooden-churches, and traditional technologies all can be found in the museum.
The statue of Francisc I - located in The Museum Square. It was built in 1817, and celebrates the visit of Emperor Francisc 1st to our city.
The Statue of Saint George killing the Dragon - A copy of the famous equestrian statue in Prague (in front of Hradcany Palace) and was carved by two sculptors from Cluj: Martin and Gheorghe.
The New Synagogue - better known by the name "The Memorial Temple of the Deportees". It was erected and is based on the project designed by architect Hegner Izidor. It was inaugurated on September 4th, 1887.
The Transilvanian National History Museum - the best location for understanding the local history.
The Pharmacy Museum - the first pharmacy opened in the city, preserves some of the drugs and furniture from the 16th Century.
The HĂˇzsongĂˇrdi Cemetery - located in downtown Cluj is one of the largest graveyards in South Eastern Europe.
Built between 1715 and 1735 on the top of a hill, Cetatuia (The Fortress) was meant to protect the city but it has been used as a prison since the 19th century. A great place for getting a panoramic view over the city.
The main destinations in the region
Maramures - one of the last traditionaly preserved regions in Romania. Many of the wooden churches are on UNESCO patrimony.
Bucovina region - about 270km from Cluj - worldwide famous for the painted monasteries.
Apuseni Mountains - a fascinating region, ideal for hiking trips and adventures. It contrasts the bizarre features of a karstic landscape - limestone gorges, cave systems, and the fascinating traditional culture of the "moti", the ancient inhabitants of this region.
The Saxon fortified churches - many of them part of UNESCO heritage - spread on the south part of Transylvania.
Sibiu - The Cultural Capital of Europe 2007.
The Thermal baths of Felix.
The Bear's Cave hosts an extraordinary range of stalagmite and stalactite formations varying in size and forms as well as many traces and fossils of cave bears.
The Citadel of Sighisoara (150km from Cluj) - considered to be the most beautiful medieval architectural ensemble in Romania and one of the last inhabited citadels in Europe.